First of all, what is Dry Brushing?
Dry Brushing is exactly what it sounds like - the process of taking a dry, natural bristled brush and brushing your body. There's a specific way you can brush to ensure you're getting the most out of it, and that is to brush daily from the ankles up, towards your heart, in long smooth strokes. When you're ready to do your back, brush from your neck down. Avoid harsh strokes and brushing back and forth - you want the skin to feel tingly at most, no where near inflamed. Take a good shower afterwards to wash off any dead skin and completely refresh yourself. I bought my brush from Whole Foods, but you can get it at many different stores - Shoppers Drug Mart, Wal Mart, or The Body Shop. If you really want a treat, pick up a nourishing dry oil with it and use it after the shower. I like Caudalie's Divine Oil and Neutrogena's Light Sesame Body Oil. The Body Shop just came out with a new Argan Oil line, so now's the perfect time to start!
So why do it?
1. It Exfoliates. Everyone is telling us to exfoliate these days - it's the best way to keep your skin healthy and ensure cell turnover. Many people exfoliate the easiest and most common way, with a loofah or bath sponge. Others have found a sugar scrub to use in the shower. Regardless, here's another way you can exfoliate that will not only leave you feeling smoother, but also make you glow from the inside out.
2. It increases circulation. When you dry brush your skin, it increases circulation, which encourages the elimination of metabolic waste. Chances are, when you're done, you'll feel the blood flow freely throughout your entire body. It's invigorating, like a good stretch.
3. It helps you detox. Stimulating your lymphatic system, dry brushing directs the toxins in your body to the lymphatic nodes where they can be eliminated. Experts have even been said that dry brushing helps with digestion and kidney function because it aids the elimination of excess water and toxins. Of course this would be a long-term benefit, so you'd have to stick with it (not that it's hard to do - dry brushing is addictive!)
4. It reduces cellulite. Who doesn't want to get rid of cellulite? Here's a way to do it without gimmicky creams, lotions, or gels. Because dry brushing boosts circulation, it pushes the body’s ability to eliminate toxins through the lymphatic system. This elimination process also helps break down fatty pockets, responsible for cellulite. So in essence, benefits 2, 3 and 4 are all individual benefits you'll experience, but they're also tied together in how they improve your health and appearance overall.
5. It's stress relieving. Taking these 5-10 minutes before your shower literally means you're taking 5-10 minutes to do something for yourself. You'll have complete privacy, which means you can be absolutely alone with your thoughts. You can always shower with your favourite relaxing body wash to keep the experience going - all a matter of personal preference.