Friday, April 18, 2014

The Ingredient Corner: Sea Buckthorn



You've probably never heard of this itty bitty orange treasure - but let me tell you, now's the time to pick it up. I discovered it as a skincare ingredient spontaneously while browsing Whole Foods last year and I've been hooked ever since. I'm constantly reminded of my rosacea, where my face gets flushed and irritated in the middle of the day, so it's usually something that's top of mind when I'm shopping in beauty or skincare sections. There are certain foods, drinks, and temperatures that make it worse, but sometimes it's a flare-up that I just can't blame on anything. Rosacea isn't something that can be cured (yet), but it's something that can be managed.

Sea buckthorn has been used in Asia and Europe, particularly noted in the Himalayas, as a part of a healthy diet as well as a topical ointment. Here are some benefits you can take advantage of:
  • Calm skin with its anti inflammatory properties. More than anything else, this is my number one reason for promoting sea buckthorn. Topical ointments with a high concentration of sea buckthorn leave such a cooling sensation that I can feel the heat and itch from a rosacea flare-up dissipate immediately.
  • Stay healthy from the inside out with a glass of juice. High omega fatty acid content including 3, 6, 9 and the rare 7 (an essential fatty acid vital to collagen production and healthy skin, hair and nails) helps to make sure your gastrointestinal tract is clean and free from blockages.
  • Firm skin with a boost of Vitamin C (more than you`ll find in an orange!) - it even helps with wrinkle prevention.

If you're looking for ways to introduce sea buckthorn into your skincare routine, I recommend checking out SBT SeaBuckthorn. They have a variety of products to try! I'm currently using their Soothing Salve for Rosacea and it usually makes an appearance in my purse when I'm on the go. Sibu has also been featured in O Magazine for it's "radiance enhancing, antiaging" line.

If you've tried it or will be trying it, let me know how it worked for you in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment