Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Facial Masks: Avocado

Hello readers!

My skin has been acting a little strange recently...dry in some patches and a little blotchy in others.     I've always liked experimenting with facial masks, but I'm apprehensive about putting too much product on my face.  With that in mind, I've taken a great liking to homemade remedies since I know that the ingredients are all-natural and I can also tamper with the concentrations based on how my skin normally reacts.

The Avocado Face Mask 

Avocados are rich in skin-loving vitamins like A, D, and E and have been known to purify skin.  I have heard that it works particularly well on dry skin, so this should be perfect for me right now.  If anyone else is experiencing pre-summer dryness, try this one out!

Here's what you need:
  1. One ripe avocado
  2. 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
  3. 2 teaspoons of honey

Here's how you do it:

  1. Mash half of the avocado with a fork until it is creamy
  2. Add two teaspoons of olive oil and mix it in
  3. Add two teaspoons of honey and mix it in
  4. Dampen your face with warm water to help open your pores
  5. Spread the mask over your face generously (try to avoid any avocado lumps!).  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Rinse off with warm water and seal your pores with a last splash of cool water.  Pat dry.
  7. Moisturize with your favourite face lotion or cream

My Review

Would definitely do this again.  While I let the mask sit, it felt a little tingly, but that could be simply because of those sensitive, dry spots on my face at the time.  No burning or itchiness, which is definitely a plus.  Once I rinsed it off, I could still feel the dry spots, but my skin did feel rejuvenated and soft.  For best results, do your body an extra favour and drink lots of water.  Nothing beats chugging water.

Random sidenote, if you're anything like me, you may eat the mask.  For those of you that have a stronger willpower, you can store the mask in the fridge for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment