Sunday, November 8, 2009

LIFE LESSON #1: NO ONE IS PERFECT

I've been wanting to write this post for quite some time now, and I feel that after the past week or so, it's now be incredibly appropriate to do so.

I'm not sure how many of you share this in common with me, but I'm a very competitive person. I compare grades, extracurriculars, work - you name it, I've most likely compared myself with someone within the past month or so. And I realize this isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but I see it as a way of measuring my perfomance with a standard. The trouble is that the majority of people I spend time with are these extrememly successful, ambitious, popular people. Naturally, it's hard to keep up with the "standard," let alone feel like you've surpassed them at something.

But the other day really opened my eyes. After witnessing one of these extremely successful, ambitious, popular people break down, I realized that regardless of however many outstading characteristics a person has, there will always be flaws. And yes, I know. It's a story that's been told for years, and I wouldn't doubt that some of you that read this have just rolled your eyes. But seriously, it really hit home for me that day. Nothing will help me remember this more than that experience. Not only did this help me feel more at ease with myself, but it also helped me develop a greater appreciation for those same people I compared myself to. I like the fact that we have flaws.

Can you imagine how boring life would be if we didn't?

No one would ever be vulnerable and feel the need to open up to someone. That alone breaks down so many great friendships that have grown from just being in the right place at the right time when a certain succesful, ambitious, popular person was having a bad day. And so I can now successfuly say, that although I still do compare myself to people. The pang of guilt that I feel when I don't think I've met the standard is far less painful.

It's also important for me to have my own set standards before I consult with anyone else. This really helps to identify where you personally think you should be. I mean, as long as I feel like I'm challenging myself and giving 100%, what more could I ask from myself?

1 comment: